ICYMI: Rep. Omar Introduces Two Articles of Impeachment and Outlines Next Steps
In case you missed it, Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) introduced two articles of impeachment against President Donald J. Trump. The first article cites President Trump’s abuse of power for attempting to overturn the 2020 presidential election results in Georgia. The second article addresses the incitement of violence for orchestrating an attempted coup against our country.
She also outlined where the impeachment vote and 25th amendment measure stands in Congress. You can read her post here or below.
“Where things stand:
“I just introduced my impeachment resolution.
“The full House will now vote on a measure calling on Vice President Pence and the cabinet to remove President Donald Trump under the 25th amendment. If Pence does not act, the House will move to impeach this week.
“So far I have signed onto the following bills and letters to hold this president accountable:
- My articles of impeachment for abuse of power and incitement of violence
- Rep. Bush's resolution to sanction, remove lawmakers who supported insurrection
- Rep. Bowman’s COUP Act to investigate ties between white supremacists & Capitol Police
- Additional Impeachment Articles from Reps. Cicilline, Lieu, Waters, and Lee
- Rep. Payne’s letter calling for investigation into why Capitol Police allowed rioters to enter the Capitol, while peaceful BLM protesters were met with militarized presence
- Rep. Tlaib’s letter calling for inquiry into National Guard response
- Rep. McNerney’s letter calling on DOJ to charge perpetrators
- Rep. Beyer’s letter to FBI on the role of online extremism in the extremism
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs letter calling on the House to impeach
- Rep. Raskin’s 25th amendment resolution
“Together, we will hold this president accountable and restore our democracy.”
The articles of impeachment are cosponsored by Representatives Payne, Jr., Huffman, Newman, Rush, Schakowsky, Wilson, Espaillat, Swalwell, Hayes, Velázquez, Clarke, DeSaulnier, Torres, Horsford, Kirkpatrick, Carson, Watson Coleman, Connolly, Gomez, Blumenauer, Eshoo, Takano, Demings, Kahele, Cohen, Napolitano, Norton, Jayapal, Higgins, Castor, Cooper, Barragan, Tonko, Pocan, Pingree, Kildee, Davis, Lynch, Meng, Dean, Lawrence, Smith, Yarmuth, Blunt Rochester, Price, Lee, Torres, Grijalva, Castro, Williams, Kaptur, Auchincloss, Garcia, Brown, Speier, Trahan, Jackson Lee, Roybal-Allard, Beatty, Keating, McGovern, Moulton, Jacobs, Leger Fernandez, Adams, Cardenas, Meeks, Waters, Sarbanes, Clark, Bonamici, Jeffries, Thompson, and McNerney.
You can read the full text of the resolution here.