The Census serves as a vital foundation of our democracy by and for the people. By counting people of all ages, races, and ethnic groups, regardless of citizenship status, the Census determines our political representation and shapes how billions of dollars in federal funding is distributed to states and local communities every year. Each year, Minnesota receives about $15 billion from the federal government based on the numbers from the Census, going to essential programs such as Medicaid, SNAP, highway planning and construction.
The 2020 Census is underway, and Minnesota is continuing to lead with the highest self-response rate in the country! However, our participation in Minnesota is not uniform – rural and dense urban areas are lagging. Additionally, accurately counting our historically undercounted communities is going to be more of a challenge due to COVID-19. We need to continue to ensure everyone is counted in the Census.
To learn more about the Census, please visit: https://mn.gov/admin/2020-census/learn-about/.
The U.S. Census Bureau continues to accept applications for temporary part-time positions with the 2020 Census. Although many job offers have been made, there is still an opportunity for jobs to be offered.
For more information about your job status and FAQs, please visit: https://2020census.gov/en/jobs.html
Updates on Census Operation Timeline
Due to COVID-19, the Census Bureau has pushed back census operations to ensure a complete and accurate count. The following are keys changes to the timeline:
- The data collection period has been extended from March 12, 2020 - October 31, 2020
- Census takers will interview households in person from August 11, 2020 – October 31, 2020
- The Census Bureau will process apportionment counts from October 31, 2020 - April 30, 2021
- The Census Bureau will process redistricting counts from May 1, 2021 - July 31, 2021
- The Census Bureau will deliver redistricting counts to states by July 31, 2021
For more information on the census operation and timeline changes, please visit: https://2020census.gov/en/news-events/operational-adjustments-covid-19.html